Mr Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo

my brief synopsis:

Claire Prescott travels to England for a Jane Austen seminar in place of her very pregnant sister.  Claire isn’t much of an Austen fan and just can’t understand Mr. Darcy’s appeal.  At the seminar, she meets a “Darcy type” man who threatens her relationship with her sports enthusiast boyfriend, Neil.  But there’s still more drama when a confused woman invites Claire to her home and reveals a lost Jane Austen manuscript.

my review:

Pattillo’s Austen inspired novels are the perfect rainy day reads that have just enough conflict to still keep them cozy.  In Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart, Claire Prescott meets a kind -sometimes confused- elderly lady, who lets her read Jane Austen’s first draft of Pride & Prejudice, First Impressions. It is quite ambitious to write in the voice of one of the most beloved writers of all time, but Pattillo provides many “chapters” and brings it to life.  First Impressions is an entirely different and unexpected story, and I found it fascinating to partake in speculation of what the lost manuscript might be like.

Oh, and I mustn’t fail to mention the romance.  There is more than one suitor for the heroin to choose from, just as Jane Austen would have it. (4/5)